Monday, February 16, 2009

we still don't know where we went this weekend






This past week seems like a whirlwind of class, studying, café, vacation planning and lots of laughing. Last weekend we all went out to Doner Kebab for dinner Friday night and then Saturday was a mercadillo day. The whole weekend was a bit low-key – just the way we had hoped. The week was spent in an unsuccessful attempt at restraining ourselves from heading to Café Toledo every day (our usual spot with this barista we named Naranja because he’s always wearing his orange sweater). Needless to say, that’s pretty much where we were all week. One night Elise, Ian and I went to the museum at the Plaza de Santa Cruz right across the street from Toledo and saw a REAL Picasso, what a life. We’re going to have to go back to the building during the day because I guess there’s a lot of cool little spots to check out and a Harry Potter looking library.
This past Friday Sheila and I spent the afternoon shopping around Campo Grande but it sort of turned into us walking around just to enjoy the sunny city. We’ve had really nice weather lately and Valladolid is absolutely beautiful when you’re able to walk around and not have your fingers freeze off after about a half hour. Later that night, a few of us went to the movies again to see Benjamin Button. Luckily we understood most everything, unlike last time, and I was actually surprised at how much I liked it. Sheila and I picked up some Fanta from the vending machine on the way there and some popcorn from a cute little shop and smuggled it in the theatre – we saved a coffee’s worth of change. Rebels.
Saturday was our big excursion #2 day, although we we’re still sort of unsure about where we went. One thing for sure is we went to Tordesillas to see a monastery and we ate lunch on the edge of a plaza looking over the shimmering Rio Duero. We took a pic with some skateboarders and Elise and I had a well-documented cartwheel contest as well as a Disney sing-along marathon – embarrassing for probably everyone who was with us. After we caused some chaos by having Paul hopping on a mechanical horse with a weight limit of 45 pounds and having an enraged Spanish woman come out and yell at him for almost breaking the thing, we jumped back on the bus and headed to Castillo de Portillo. The castle is owned by the University of Valladolid (so we’ll be taking our exams there…not) and we spent some time climbing down the well and up the tower until it was time to take off again to the Roman ruins. We drive up to the middle of nowhere (I thought those places only existed in Wisconsin) and inside we go see the foundation of an excavated Roman Villa which was actually pretty cool. By that time though we were sort of tired from walking around and ready to get back on the bus and head home.
Saturday night was Paul’s birthday so we all headed out to his house for cake and champagne and then out to the Sotabanco. The night ended with a few of us at a café at 2:30 am dog tired and wanting someone to drive us home. I spent Sunday catching up on all the sleep I lost over the weekend and I’m looking forward to finishing off this upcoming week so we can take off for Cagliari, Italy for Caranaval. Needless to say we’re pretty excited and ready for a little bit of a break in the routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment